Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What I Just Finished


All Quiet on the Western Front. Erich Maria Remarque.


I'm not really a war book kind of a gal, so I wasn't super excited to teach this.  Then I started reading it.


Remarque's imagery is astounding. His characters are endearing.  His story is captivating.


Paul Baumer, the narrator and protagonist of the story, and his friends are German soldiers fighting in WWI.  They lament their lost youth and the educations they suffered through and no longer use, but more than anything they demonstrate the intimate and intricate relationships of wartime friends, brothers really.  


The book is mostly sad, but it's so very good.  I liked it because it was genuine.  The only agenda seemed to be telling the truth about war and what it's really like, and I appreciated its honesty.


Besides that, I love me some Paul Baumer. 

Happy Reading,


P.S. It's day 20 of my 21 day blogging adventure.  Who knew I'd make it?  I mean...I think it's safe to say I'll probably make it, but who knows...  I can't jinx myself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment