Thursday, May 3, 2012

Montreal Happenings, Part Two: Notre-Dame Basilica


The Notre-Dame Basilica was a favorite adventure of mine in Montreal.
(You'll probably hear me call everything "a favorite adventure of mine" because I'm bad at choosing favorites, and pretty much everything we did was awesome.  Just FYI).

The structure was beautiful from the outside, but inside the sanctuary was beyond breathtaking.  You know when you've been in a dark room and you walk out into the bright sun and your eyes need a minute to adjust to the brightness?  Walking into the church provided the same experience, only my eyes needed to adjust to the beauty, and I had to catch my breath.


The contrast between the hustle and bustle of the city outside with the quiet and stillness of inside made the building feel especially sacred.  When we listened to our tour guide talk about the church's history (Celine Dion got married there!), I kept wishing she'd whisper.  Being quiet just felt right.


We got to walk all around and inspect all the tiny crevices.   I soaked it all in: the carpentry of the pews to the ornate ceiling to the stained glass windows that pictured scenes of Montreal's history to the tile to the candles.  I loved it.


Before we left I found a quiet corner and lit a candle and said a prayer for Sony and for us.  

It was blessed experience.


Come back tomorrow to hear about the rest of our day,


P.S.  This is day eight of my twenty-one day blogging adventure.  So far, so good.  Then again, it is only day eight. . . .

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for praying in the church. May He bless us all.

    ReplyDelete