Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Adventures in Vegetarianism

I decided to be a vegetarian for the month of May.


I had many different reasons:
1. I like challenges in self discipline and control.
2. I'm almost a vegetarian anyway.
3. Who doesn't love a fun adventure?!


Stuffed bell peppers.  

I expected that surrendering to a meatless existence would be a little difficult, that there would be unexpected complications.  I thought I might feel sad sometimes about having to leave meat alone.  I felt sure I would feel different in some way, that my body would respond positively or negatively.

For the most part, I was wrong.



The only place I ran into any real trouble was Arby's on a road trip, and the only reason that was troublesome was because I didn't want the level of calories that comes with consuming the largest order of curly fries.  Although, I do love me some curly fries and firmly believe they should be calorie free.


As for my body, she felt the same as always.


I suppose I found the transition easy because I'm not a meat lover to begin with.  Technically, though, I didn't make my goal, and I'm good with that. 


I ended my quest with vegetarianism on May 29th.  I decided long before then that I'd quit before the month was done because that was the day of the teacher's luncheon, catered by Mark's Feed Store. Since this store that's really a restaurant has most delicious barbeque, I thought, who cares?  Let's do this.  So, I did.




Quinoa Pilaf.
I thought eating meat for the first time in 28 days would be weird, but it wasn't.  Turns out, it tasted just the same, but fruits and vegetables and grains are still much better.

So, my days of strict vegetarianism are over, although I'll still be my mostly vegetarian self.

It was a fun adventure.  Now I need something new to try. . .


Happy Wednesday,


No comments:

Post a Comment