Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Montreal Happenings, Part One: All the Animals

Sony's Facebook says she's a zookeeper.  I always thought that was an exaggeration; then I visited her apartment.  She. wasn't. lying.  So, meet the crazy critters:


This little birdie is Tequila.  Tequila is a nice little birdie, but if and when he flew around the apartment, it gave me the heebie-jeebies because I have a totally rational and not-at-all-over-exaggerated fear of birds. However, Tequila and I, we got along.


Tequila is a cool fella because he can talk and say I love you and he can also sing a duet of You are My Sunshine.  I doubted the existence of these skills at first, but once Tequila and I spent some quality time together (I was desperately trying to get him to get out of the office and back to his cage) he sang for me, and it was precious.



Please meet Natchez (pictured above).  Natchez is the protector cat.  He lurks about with his eyes filled to the brim with suspicion.  He's huge and furry; when he sits still he looks pretend, like a stuffed animal.  I think he wants to be all surly and mysterious, but once you pet him, he's done for.  The suspicion drains from his eyes, and he loves you.


Here we have Dixie.  Dixie is the softest cat I've ever touched.  Her fur is smoother than silk and her big blue eyes seem to look deep into your soul.  Dixie is a loving little lady.  She sits next to Sony almost all the time, and she gets a little impatient if you stop petting her.  She loves to be around the people-conversation, probably because that's where she's bound to get the most attention.  Sometimes it seemed as though she was really listening to what we had to say.


The last of the cat darlings is Bijoux.  Bijoux is shy.  For the first several hours we spent at Sony's apartment, I didn't know Bijoux existed.  After a while, she just showed up.  Bijoux just isn't a fan of social interaction.  She prefers to observe quietly from the sidelines, but I liked her anyway.

You'd think three cats and a bird would constitute the title "zookeeper," and you'd be wrong.  Three cats and a bird are just the beginning to Sony's animal loves.  The living room houses a huge cage of various types of smaller birds; there is a large fish tank in the office and at least three smaller ones in the living room/kitchen.

Housing and taking care of that many animals would never be my cup of tea, but she loves them, and Fern loves them.  And I just can't help but be a little comforted by the fact that Sony and her sweet husband are always surrounded by a little family of animals to love and talk to and cry with and laugh with and get mad at and sing with and whatever else they need.  So if Sony wants a zoo; a zoo it will be.


Besides, I know  all about over-loving animals.  Hub and I are little bit crazy about our four-legged children; it's okay, though; I find I'm at my best when I'm a little crazy.


But still don't judge me.


KThanks,





P.S.  This is day seven of my twenty-one day blogging adventure.  So far, so good.  Then again, it is only day seven. . . .One week down; two to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment