Monday, May 28, 2012

The Weekend that Wasn't

I had many, many plans for this weekend, and they all fell apart. One by one by one.


My husband was to be out of town.  I was to be in town--celebrating.  Not celebrating in the traditional sense, you see.  I was going to celebrate the successful completion of my first year of teaching by myself--quietly.  


I intended to watch miserable amounts of television and devour book after delicious book perhaps stopping for real sustenance along the way.  I would do only the things that struck my fancy and nothing more.  I would be still; I would be quiet; I would be proud of what I'd accomplished.


How were my plans derailed, you ask?  Sabotage.  Sabotage by none other than the vessel that holds my tired and weary new-teacher soul--my very own body.


It all started on Monday(ish)--I can't be certain of the exact date, as I didn't see the attack coming because, quite frankly, I never do.  It started with a headache that wouldn't go away, an itchy throat, an achy  muscle.  You get the drift.  By Thursday I was feeling a bit light headed and my throat was no longer itchy, but a deep and painful scratchy.  When I got home after a long day I had a fever.  I was up all night pleading with the germs, the illness, God, myself, ANYONE to please, please let me sleep.  The answer was always, except for an hour or two, a deep, sadistic NO.


By Friday morning when it was time to go to school for the last day of finals, I was a mess.  A germy, feverish mess.  I had two finals to give.  When the last students of the last group left, I packed it all up and went home.


I stopped at Walgreens and loaded up on sinus medication, sleeping pills, potato chips (who knows why?), orange juice, and soup.


I spent the weekend that was to be the glorious end of a glorious year bobbing between sleep and wakefulness, being able to breath and struggling for air.  


I should have known my weekend of beauty and reflection and quiet would be ripped from underneath me; after all, this is how I live.


I push and I push and I push and I reach a goal, and then, as if my body and spirit detach from one another and the sprit says KEEP GOING, my body rises up with a tired and spent, but strong and forceful, NO--IT'S TIME TO STOP.


It happened in high school; it got worse in college when I was sick after every single semester.  It happened after I got married.  I made it to the end of the honeymoon before I crashed, and now it's happened again.  


So, my weekend disappeared into oblivion, a sick and nasty oblivion of nose blowing and fitful sleep and pill popping.


I suppose, though, that having a 101.5 fever and being so, so sick is just a way for my body to celebrate its long, faithful hours of success.  Because, although it was forced, she finally got her long overdue rest.

I hope your weekend was healthier than mine,

No comments:

Post a Comment