Saturday, January 8, 2011

the internet has been down, and I don't feel so good myself.

December 20, 2010, started out as any other December day.  It was chilly outside, and I decided to browse the internet during some of my morning's spare time.  I logged on the computer.  I opened Safari.  I typed my desired address.  Nothing.  I sighed.  I tried again.  Nothing.  I sighed.  I unplugged the router.  I counted a s l o w thirty seconds just to make sure enough time had passed before I plugged it back in.  I closed Safari.  I reopened Safari.  I typed in my desired address.  Nothing.  Again.  I unplugged the router and began again with my s l o w counting.  This time to sixty.  I plugged the router back in.  I closed and reopened Safari.  I typed in my desired address.  Nothing.  My eyes widened.  My hands began to shake. A cold sweat appeared on my brow.  I felt disoriented.  Where is my internet?  The beloved stealer of my time.  The one who helps me connect with friends and read the news.  Where has she gone?  I got creative and unplugged the modem.  I waited.  I plugged it back in. I went through the usual routine.  I think you get it by now, right?  Nothing happened.  It was terrible.


It's been a long 19 days.


Last night, two men dressed in blue uniforms came to fix the problem.  Guess what?  They didn't.  They provided a temporary fix; the real fix is coming soon, but they'll need to start in the morning because there is going to be "pretty significant drywall damage."   Drywall damage?  Doesn't bother me. I just want the internet to work.  Need to take my pinky toe, my right ear lobe, my left knee?*  Doesn't bother me.  I just want the internet.  *That was a joke.  So was that stuff earlier about the shaky hands.*


Hopefully, the little fellows in their blue uniforms will come back soon because school is close to starting, and internet access is required for my classes.  I mean, how can I take an online class offline?  I hope you're seeing the issue here.  It's starting to get stressful.  It was okay to be internet-less over break, even though I was itching to blog and browse and whatnot, but I survived.  In just a few days, internet access will transform from a simple luxury to a necessity.  My education depends on it!  (How's that for dramatic?)  


Well, now you know where I've been and why I never wished you a happy anything this holiday season.  I hope your holidays were filled with joy, love, and entertainment.  Mine certainly were.  I am looking forward to a 2011 filled with worry-free access to the internet.  After all, I have lots of things to talk about.  For example, it's a new year (didn't you hear?), resolutions, Christmas, driving adventures, opportunities, hopes, etc, etc, etc.


P.S.  I typed this yesterday, and just as I was ready to hit "PUBLISH POST,"  the internet went down.  I'm living a vicious cycle here.

4 comments:

  1. At least some woman listens to me, Mrs. Hubbard. The ones at 1900 Malcolm are rather remiss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you blame them? haha. Just joking :D

    ReplyDelete