Monday, February 20, 2012

A Word on President's Day

Happy President's Day, y'all!  I hope you're receiving a splendid day off from work like I am.  

I think I should preface this post with the promise that in no way am I attempting to talk politics or reveal my political beliefs.  I'm not a fan of discussing politics with lots of people because the fact of the matter is, I'm just not good at it.  I'm still wrestling with my opinions because I refuse to subscribe to a particular party's list of platforms just because those are the concerns of a particular party. To me, that is the definition of ignorance.  Voting Republican or Democrat or not at all because that's what you saw your parents do is largely unhelpful to the nation.  

What I am going to talk about is the Presidency because, you know, today is  President's Day and all.

I don't about you, but my parents raised me to respect people in authority whether I liked them or not.  They did NOT teach me to keep my mouth shut and do what the big guy says all the time; they did NOT teach me to roll over and let the government do what it would do; they did NOT teach me to be apathetic and wait for someone else to fix my problems.  They taught me to love this country and the principles on which it was founded; they taught me to say the Pledge of Allegiance with pride; they taught to me to be respectful of the system, even when it didn't work out in my favor.

I am so appreciative of all the things they taught me to believe in and do, and, most of all, I'm grateful that they didn't shove their political leanings down my throat.  

With all that said, I think the lack of respect some people in our country give the Presidency is disgusting.  I don't think it matters whether or not you like the man in office; he should still be respected.  After all, somebody elected him, and just because things didn't turn out in your favor doesn't mean you should perpetuate hatefulness. 

I'm not saying that opposing the actions of a President that you don't agree with is wrong.  It's not at all wrong; this is America, and we are supposed to oppose things we don't agree with.  I just don't think we're supposed to set aside all respect and love for our country and start attacking a person.  It's useless.  If you want to get something done, hating the President of United States is least likely to achieve that goal.  Hate is never helpful.

Rant over, 

1 comment:

  1. We may not respect the man, but we should all respect the Office of the President. Any one of us, if put in that position, would make unpopular decisions and would interject some of our own beliefs, etc., into the mix of trying to do what we think is best for the country. Because as you know, we ALL know what is best!! LOL. Great post.

    ReplyDelete