Friday, April 1, 2011

Don't Be a Fool; Have a Happy April!

Well, friends, April 1st is here.

That's right, it's April Fools Day. I thought about dreaming up some hilarious or frightening story and blogging about it on this day, but let's face it; my current energy levels don't allow such free-flowing creativity and secret keeping.

The best April Fools Day joke ever played at my expense was thought up by my mother. That's right, ladies and gentlemen. The woman who gives her thoughts and emotions away by the gleam in her eye and the curve of her mouth carried through an April Fools Day joke; the April Fools Day joke I call the best. (She didn't fool me for too long, though; don't worry).

One fateful April 1st when I was in junior high, my mother convinced me that my school had burned down. I was all dressed and prepared, except for my shoes. My shoes are always the LAST article of clothing I put on; I prefer for my feet to stay free for as long as possible.


I had just bounded downstairs, looking forward to the breakfast that awaited me in the kitchen. Mama was waiting for me. As I entered the kitchen she said, "Jessica, I have something important to tell you. Let's sit down." We sat down. I was nervous but hadn't forgotten about the breakfast I wanted or the time on the clock (I worked hard to arrive on time every day). Then she proceeded to convince me that my school burned down, and I would be staying at home until the administration figured out where all the students would go to school.


Maybe busses would take us to a school in a neighboring town, maybe we'd have school somewhere else, maybe, maybe, maybe. 


So, I believed her--at first. After all, she is my mother. 


She gave herself away when:

1) She wasn't crying. (We're very sentimental people, and the school burning down would be due cause for wailing. It's just in our nature to mourn.)

2) She made me put shoes on before we got in the car to "go see the ashes."  Also, she insisted I bring my backpack along.


3) I had a cell phone by this time, and I felt sure if the school really had burned down then at least one of my friends would have told me before fifteen minutes prior to first bell.


Just as we were headed to the garage, I finally got her to admit her trick.  I badgered and questioned until she had no more energy to create any sort of believable answer.  She turned around and said, "Oh, fine! It didn't burn down! Now get in the car; we're going to be late!"  And the whole way to school we giggled and thought of ways she really could've convinced me, better jokes to play on some unsuspecting friend next year, and why April Fool's Day was a holiday, anyway.


Happy April Fool's Day!
Don't get tricked! 

No comments:

Post a Comment