Sunday, June 6, 2010

No Ordinary Pothole

A sinkhole created by tropical storm Agatha is seen in the Ciudad Nueva neighborhood in Guatemala City, Guatemala, on May 29. Agatha caused landslides and floods that left tens of thousands homeless in Central America.

Doesn't this photo absolutely blow your mind? It does mine.

How does the earth just swallow its surface into a giant hole? It seems impossible, doesn't it?

To me, the picture almost looks fabricated, like it's just some horrible joke the media is playing on the world. I'm afraid, however, that it isn't, and that is what is so scary.

Pictures like this one, pictures of things I can hardly wrap my mind around, remind me of how small I am. Sure, I can do great things in my life and be kind to people and try to make a difference, but I have no control. None of us do, not really.

Humbling, isn't it?

I stole this image from msnbc.com's Week in Pictures. If you don't know, this site posts pictures weekly of things that have happened around the world. The pictures are fantastic. You should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment