Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Driver Calls 911 to Report Herself as Drunk

I read this on MSN today:

Associated Press
updated 8:08 p.m. CT, Mon., Nov . 2, 2009

NEILSVILLE, Wis. - The call came into the 911 dispatcher: "I don't want to hurt anybody. I'm drunk." And with that, Mary Strey, 49, of Granton, reported herself as a drunken driver about three miles northeast of Neilsville in central Wisconsin.

Clark County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Jim Backus said Monday that Strey's call on Oct. 24 led deputies to cite her for misdemeanor drunken driving with a blood-alcohol level double the legal limit to drive. She makes her first court appearance Dec. 10.

Backus said drunken drivers reporting themselves is rare.

In the 911 call, Strey said she wanted to report a drunken driver and the dispatcher asked if she was behind the suspect vehicle. "I am them," Strey said. She then followed the dispatcher's advice to pull over and turn on her flashers, telling him she had been "drinking all night long."

"Backus said drunken drivers reporting themselves is rare." Really? Who would've guessed that? :)

At least this woman was honest enough to get herself off of the road before she hurt herself or someone else. I can't help but wonder, now that she is being charged, does she regret reporting herself? IF it were me, I'd probably be wishing right about now that I hadn't taken the high road and turned myself in, but I think I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, and say that she turned herself in knowingly, still remembers this action, and is willing to serve for her punishment in any way the courts deem necessary. A big part of me wonders if such will be the case.

Despite all my ponderings, I couldn't help but giggle a little at this story. We generally stop telling on ourselves at an early age, and I think it's humorous that this woman told on her self in such a way that she will face legal consequences. I also think this action is commendable and honorable. Perhaps life would be easier and the world a much better place if we were all willing and able to admit our faults and ask for help, if nothing more than for the sake of those around us.