Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Snippets

"I knew ahead of time that if someone looked at me with hate, I would have to allow it, to swallow it, because something in me, something about me deserved it."
--Farewell to Manzanar, Jeanne Wakatsuki-Houston


~~~~~


"Most of those interned in the United States were native-born American citizens; they were all civilians, imprisoned inside the borders of their own country, without a trial, and their captors were other Americans."
--Farewell to Manzanar, Jeanne Wakatsuki-Houston


~~~~~


"Marriage is a friendship recognized by the police."
--Robert Louis Stevenson, qtd. in Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage, Elizabeth Gilbert


~~~~~


"Felipe and I had each learned firsthand this distressing truth: that every intimacy carries, secreted somewhere below its initial lovely surfaces, the ever-coiled makings of complete catastrophe."
--Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage, Elizabeth Gilbert


~~~~~


Have a great week,

No comments:

Post a Comment