Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Conversation Overheard at Macy's*

Imagine.
It's Saturday.  The mall is busy. Bustling. The parking lot is bursting full.  Not a spot to be found.  I only need ONE thing. ONE.  Hub drops me at the door.  "Good luck," he says.  "Thanks," I reply.
I enter the department store. Almost crowded.  Not terrible.  I'm not sure where to go.  I've never actually been here before.  I walk slowly trying to get my bearings, figure out where I'm going.  In front of me is a couple.  A husband and wife.  She's shopping.  He's helping.  I overhear their discussion.

Husband:  Honey, if you want one of those sweaters, you should get one.

Wife:  Well, okay.  I'm not really sure what size I'd wear, though.

Husband: Hmm. Probably an extra large.  I mean, a large might fit, but I'm not sure.

(Wife's eyes open wide; mouth drops a little; hand moves to hip; feet take a mini-step back)

Wife: I'm wearing a MEDIUM now.

(Husband's mouth opens a little, then closes to offer a fearful looking smile)

(Wife turns to face the sweater rack)

I keep moving.  Make it to the makeup counter.  Purchase complete.  I head toward my exit.  I wonder if the couple is still shopping.  Are they still a couple?  Is the husband still alive?  Who could be certain?  As I come closer to the site of the unfortunate dialogue, I see no wife.  I do see the husband.  He is sitting on the floor next to a display of mannequins.  Alone, like a child left in timeout while his mother roams the store.
I walk out of the mall.  It is chilly.  After the longest two minutes of my life, Hub pulls up.  I hop in.
"Did you get what you needed?" Hub asks.  "Yes," I reply, "and I have to tell you what just happened."


*True Story.  No embellishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment