Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sunday Snippets


"I understood.  I was just smart enough to realize she meant white people.  And even though I still felt miserable, I knew that I was, most likely, ugly, it was the first time she ever talked to me like I was something besides my mother's white child.  All my life I'd been told what to believe about politics, coloreds, being a girl. But with Constantine's thumb pressed in my hand, I realized I actually had a choice in what I could believe."
--The Help, Kathryn Stockett


~~~~~


"She rubs the cream in my hair with both hands.  I can practically feel the hope in her fingers.  A cream will not straighten my nose or take a foot off my height.  It won't add distinction to my almost translucent eyebrows, nor add weight to my bony frame.  And my teeth are already perfectly straight. So this is all she has left to fix, my hair."
--The Help, Kathryn Stockett


~~~~~


"I've met so many parents of kids who are on the low end of the autism spectrum, kids who are diametrically opposed to Jacob, with his Asperger's. They tell me I'm lucky to have a son who's so verbal, who is blisteringly intelligent, who can take apart the broken microwave and have it working again an hour later.  They think there is no greater hell than having a son who is locked in his own world, unaware that there's a wider one to explore.  But try having a son who is locked in his owl world and still wants to make a connection.  A son who tries to be like everyone else but truly doesn't know how."
--House Rules, Jodi Picoult


~~~~~


"'. . .don't they teach you how to spell these days?'
'No,' I answer. 'They teach us to use spell-check.'"
--House Rules, Jodi Picoult


~~~~~


"'But. . .' he's circling his hand again, wanting more. 'What kind of Christian?'
Oh. Kind?  Isn't being a Christian rather like being pregnant? You either wholly are or you really aren't--is there an in between? How did we become known as 'kinds' of Christian instead of being simply, humbly, loving Christians? What if following Christ was about a living faith not about wearing faith labels--about living Christ-behaviour, not living in Christian boxes?"
--Ann Voskamp, http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/06/what-in-the-world-should-christians-wear/


~~~~~

Happy Father's Day,   (Look for a Father's Day post soon!)




No comments:

Post a Comment