Thursday, August 26, 2010

Overreaction.

Okay, I'll admit it. I probably overreacted a bit about this whole being a grad student thing. This type of overreaction has happened before in my educational life. It typically occurs at the beginning of every semester. I like to call it syllabi shock.
In case you couldn't tell, it's a pretty serious condition.

Syllabi shock occurs when a student receives a syllabus from each of her classes for the semester, reads through them in great detail (noticing every assignment, exam, and stipulation the professor has discussed), records assignments and other important information in her planner, takes a step back, notices all the things she has to do with little time in between, and swirls into a state of serious panic. The panic can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. Serious cases, ones lasting more than seven days, should be reported.

None of my bouts with syllabi shock have needed to be reported, as they don't last long. It just seems to take me a day or so to decide that I can really do something.

This semester will definitely be challenge, but I think I'm up to it. I've already scratched out two assignments in planner. I love the feeling of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment