Wednesday, January 9, 2013

At the End of 2012

I suppose 2012 was an ordinary year, one of sadness sprinkled with a little laughter on top and nougats of joy in the mix, the kind of year that feels extraordinary sometimes and plain old boring too.

Maisie who hates the camera.
 All the talk of the end of the world was nearly comical except for the part that was annoying.
Our pups are no good at pictures.
I didn't want the world to end.  I wanted to stay right here and keep on going despite the crazy and the sadness and the disappointment 2012 brought, I was still ready for the dawn of a new year, a fresh beginning.
On our new balcony..!
I love a good beginning, a restart, but the world, as so many said the Mayans had told it (I never took the time to check), was scheduled to end.  When I got in bed on the night of December 20th, hours before the silliness of preparing for the world's end would be over, just before it would become everybody's new joke, I decided to accept what I think I already knew.
Little Melvin-bo-Belvin.



If the Mayans had been right, I wouldn't have minded too terribly much.  Because right now, I am content and I am blessed and, although I love a fresh start, 2012 would have been a good year to go out on.  It was full and busy, sad and grief-ridden, funny and joyful.  It was just an ordinary year that felt incredibly fascinating and wonderful and incredibly dull and terrible all at the same time. 

So, I am quite glad the world didn't end.

I hope you are too,

No comments:

Post a Comment